The full highlights are in the lead photo up top, and here are a few bits of trivia to take away from today's proceedings
- The LA Galaxy won their fourth MLS Cup championship (2002, 2005, 2011, 2012) to tie D.C. United for the most championships by an MLS club.
- The Galaxy are the third MLS club to win back to back titles. The others are D.C. United (1996, 1997) and Houston Dynamo (2005, 2006)
- The three goals by the Galaxy was their most in an MLS cup. The other three victories were all 1-0 score lines.
- For the fifth time in the last seven finals, the club that scored first did not win the match.
- Every penalty kick in MLS Cup history has been taken at The Home Depot Center. Before today there was only one PK goal (Josh Wolff, D.C 2004) and one other. Two penalty kicks were given and converted today at The Home Depot Center.
- Landon Donovan scored his fifth MLS Cup goal, the most of any MLS player. He has scored in four of his six finals, and has a record 22 postseason goals.
- Donovan has 146 league and playoff goals the most of any player, surpassing Jaime Moreno.
- Just because it's great, here's Omar Gonzalez's MLS Cup 2012 goal from every angle