More scary transfer news out of old Europe.
Belgian media outlet HLN Sport is reporting that Royal Antwerp have offered Jelle Van Damme a 2-year-deal, which would allow Van Damme to return to his favored left-back position with a familiar manager in Luciano D’Onofrio, who rescued Van Damme from another club earlier in his career and apparently spoke to the Belgian last week. The move would also allow the tall defender to reunite with his family back home.
It appears to be a legitimate offer, with the article going as far to say Van Damme wants the deal to happen and the only issue is the Galaxy themselves.
Van Damme naar Antwerp: "Het enige vraagteken in dit dossier staat bij LA Galaxy" https://t.co/JJFPHJUUnw #hlnsport pic.twitter.com/NsBDk2yA0J— HLN Sport (@hlnsport) July 31, 2017
Could Van Damme be on his way out? It should be said the offer was proposed last week, right in the middle of what was a tumultuous period for LA as Curt Onalfo was relieved of his duties and replaced by Sigi Schmid. It should also be said the 33-year-old has lost a step this season, and three red cards have some fans questioning whether the big Belgian still deserves to wear the captain’s armband, perhaps making Van Damme more expendable than planned.
We’ll keep you updated.