Galaxy forward Ethan Zubak scored for the second straight preseason game, hanging for a header between two defenders off Cristian Pavon’s cross in the 8th minute.
Pavon then nabbed a goal himself, with a Dennis Bergkamp-like tally, taking a ball down from over his shoulder with one touch, then burying the shot.
New England’s goal came courtesy of a Gustavo Bou tap-in literally one foot in front of the goal line just before the halftime break.
The starting lineup for LA was:
- GK - David Bingham; Rolf Feltscher, Giancarlo Gonzalez, Daniel Steres, Danny Acosta; Joe Corona, Sebastian Lletget, Sacha Kljestan; Cristian Pavon, Ethan Zubak, Aleksandar Katai
- Julian Araujo replaced Acosta and trialist Gordon Wild entered for Zubak at the start of the second half
- In the 60th minute, Justin Vom Steeg (Bingham), Nick DePuy (Gonzalez), Diedie Traore (Steres), draft pick Tom Smart (Feltscher), Carlos Harvey (Kljestan), Emil Cuello (Lletget), Kai Koreniuk (Katai) and Efrain Alvarez (Pavon) all entered the game.
- You’ll notice Chicharito isn’t in this rundown. Reports are that the team is hopeful the Mexican superstar will have his visa to work this week.
- Jonathan dos Santos also wasn’t involved. Whatever injury that appears to be nagging him this preseason appears to be persisting.
- Emiliano Insua also didn’t feature. Not sure if that’s a visa thing, an injury or something else.
So that makes two preseason games down for the Galaxy, two wins so far. It’s promising, but it’s just preseason, too, so no need to read very much into the results themselves, especially with some key pieces still missing.
The Galaxy are back in action Saturday with a preseason tune-up against Toronto FC. Should make for a good look with the season approaching.
What do you think? Do you think Zubak can leverage this preseason run into more playing time in 2020 for the first team? Let’s chat about that or anything you like in the comments below!