At this point it's about how the team plays. And this LA team was fun to watch tonight (except for one notable player). It should give Galaxy fans some heart for the 2018 season.
The Galaxy have just looked better under Sigi Schmid, and tonight's performance was a clear indication of that. Good coaching equals points. Remember that Seattle is a Cup contender and a leader in the West. LA played them toe to toe for the majority of the match. Good sign for Schmid sticking around and straightening out the Galaxy in 2018.
Beyond all that, Gyasi Zardes scored for the second week in a row.
Now if only Giovani Dos Santos would stop dribbling into walls, our 2018 pre-season (because that's what we're in) would be complete.
For those that lament the red on Roman Torres, Ozzie Alonso had no business being on the pitch after an elbow to Boateng's head, so the soccer Gods were just.
- Romain Alessandrini - turned Fisher inside out all night long down the right. Seattle had no answers for him, and he willed the Galaxy forward. Great assist to Zardes. 3 key passes and an assist.
- Jonathan Dos Santos - fantastic with the ball under pressure, and his cutting run set up Zardes' goal. Calm, cool and collected in the middle of the pitch, he is going to be an absolute joy to watch next year. Be glad we acquired him, he's going to run our midfield for some time. Can't wait to see he and Alessandrini with Sebastian Lletget.
- Jermaine Jones - when he's disciplined, he's great. Clint Dempsey couldn't figure out a way around him, and he caused the red card on Torres. Coming around to keeping him as a veteran presence next year.
- Gyasi Zardes - created a nice little seam for himself, and the ball went into the back of the net. Keep scoring, young man. Very good hold up play as well.
- Brian Rowe - decent control of his box and a couple of saves, with the save on Dempsey's freekick standing out. Could do nothing on Neagle's goal.
- Daniel Steres/Dave Romney - the goal was unfortunate after a very solid 90 minute turn by the two centerbacks. No major errors from either.
- Ashley Cole - burned by Torres' flailing leg and stellar assist. Before that he was a rock down the left hand side.
- Emmanuel Boateng - not enough production out of him in the final 18. Looks a bit tired and like he's ready for the year to be over. But he'll be a valuable asset in 2018.
- Bradford Jamieson IV - really like the way the kid has played over the last few weeks. His strong challenge started the Jones counter attack. Apparently Sigi likes him too because he's been one of LA's first subs since Sigi has joined. Definitely has a role to play, and would like him to remain strong and healthy in the offseason.
- Bradley Diallo - stood off Neagle for Seattle's tying goal and was burned several times by Fisher in the opening 30 minutes. Did contribute in the attack.
- Giovani Dos Santos - PASS THE FREAKING BALL. TO ANYONE. STOP DRIBBLING INTO OPPONENTS. YOU HAVE TEAMMATES. He's GOT to stop playing hero ball, it absolutely kills LA's counter attacks. (That said, nice pass to feed Jones on the red card causing counter).
- Jon Kempin - injured.