Outside of a rocket from Juninho, there was little in the way of offense for the Los Angeles Galaxy tonight. Troy Perkins only had to make one save in keeping the clean sheet, as Portland Timers shut out the Galaxy 3-0. The loss brought the Galaxy's fourteen game unbeaten steak crashing down, and marked the Galaxy's first loss to an expansion team since 2008 (San Jose Earthquakes)
The Galaxy fan base have been groaning about the lack of goal production, especially the forward positions, and it finally caught up to them tonight. The normally terrific has been able to guide them to fourteen unbeaten games, but tonight we saw when someone gets height on Omar, when someone's a step faster than AJ, and when deflections just don't go the Galaxy's way. Juan Pablo Angel has been benched, has come out of half time, both on multiple occasions. I don't know if Bruce Arena has a magic trick to make the aging striker wake up.
The TImbers got their first two goals before the half, and only needed a second half dagger to put this game away for good, well before the final whistle. Dan Keat came in for Juninho at the 81' mark, that's how dead the game was.
- Tonight was the Galaxy's first loss since May 1st. Their opponent: FC Dallas - who the Galaxy host on Saturday.
- The Galaxy still lead the league by three points, since Real Salt Lake lost in Kansas City and FC Dallas was involved in CONCACAF Champion's League play. That's another positive from this game, all the top three held steady, and will be equally tired on Saturday.
- Kenny Cooper got a late start after Eddie Johnson was scratched due to a concussion. Cooper took six shots, one on target. Imagine what he could do on a good team.
- That's not fair. Shore up the backline and Portland are a contender. However, it was noted in the press box when Portland was in LA that Cooper often plays to the level of his surroundings.
- JELD-WEN is as loud as advertised. Those 22k sound...well like loud Americans. Did you think I was going to say EPL?
- BTW, Fox Soccer needs to stop calling it BPL
The Galaxy welcome FC Dallas to the Home Depot Center on Saturday.